Speake-Marin unveils Spirit Pioneer at the Saatchi Gallery, London.
Pioneer’s sophisticatedly clean, black-lacquered dial effortlessly throws the central hour, minute and second hands into stark juxtaposition. Equally striking are the powerful Roman numerals at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock and the four pairs of hour markers in between, purposely chosen to enhance readability.
Three-dimensional Super-LumiNova provides the hands, indices and 60 minute markers within the white lacquer railroad-track chapter ring with superlative legibility while adding more than a touch of masculine vitality. The dial is completed by,the Speake-Marin signature ‘topping tool’ motif and logo, which are both in white lacquer.
The elegant stainless steel Piccadilly case bears all the hallmarks of Speake-Marin’s meticulous quest to create classical yet durable timepieces, with the characteristic crown and robust lugs guaranteeing that Spirit will well and truly stand the test of time. Turning Spirit over, the beauty of the highly polished and hand bevelled ‘topping tool’ mystery winding rotor is the first feature to catch the attention. However, it is the inspirational rallying cry engraved just below – “Fight, Love & Persevere” – that upholds Spirit’s name and confirms its credentials as the perfect talisman.
Peter Speake-Marin explains his motivation for making Spirit and describes what – in his eyes – is this timepiece’s most salient quality:
“Spirit is inspired by a timepiece I bought 15 years ago when I was restoring antique pieces in Piccadilly, London. It was an authentic military watch from the first half of the 20th century that I restored in my own time and wore regularly as my personal timekeeper. I always wanted to create my own piece based on this personal favourite and have toyed around with ideas to realise this ambition ever since I founded Speake-Marin.
The global economic downturn and natural disasters of the last few years have meant that people all over the world – myself included – have had to face up to increasing challenges which can test the limits of endurance. But what has struck me in my experiences is the drive people possess to fight on, to adapt and to forge forward, with their capacity for love never diminishing.
Having seen first-hand how basic human spirit always seems to prevail, the themes of determination, tenacity and love were at the forefront of my mind when I created this timepiece and so I have paid tribute to them by christening it ‘Spirit’ and by engraving the motto: ‘Fight, Love and & Persevere’ on the case-back.”
Spirit Pioneer is a limited edition of just 68 pieces.
• Iconic Piccadilly design
• Diameter: 38mm
• Thickness: 13.5mm
• Stainless steel
• Sapphire crystal treated with anti-reflective coating
• Speake-Marin distinctive ‘topping tool’ motif and custom-designed winding rotor
• “Speake-Marin Limited Edition 1in68” engraved above the winding rotor
• “Fight, Love & Persevere” motto, engraved under the winding rotor
• Stainless steel
• Central hours, miunutes and seconds
• Matte black lacquered
• Roman numerals at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock with white Super-LumiNova minute markers. Numerals in five-minute intervals in white lacquer
• White-lacquered Speake-Marin distinctive ‘topping tool’ wheel motif above 6 o’clock and brand logo below 12 o’clock
• Anti-reflective coated Crystal on front and display-back
• ‘Foundation’ style central hour and minute hands in white lacquered steel with hand-applied green Super-LumiNova
• Central second hand in white lacquered steel
• Automatic winding mechanical movement
• Large balance for precision timekeeping as well as a solid overall construction
• Frequency: 28’800 v/h
• 25 jewels
• 42 hours power reserve
• In-house custom-designed rotor wheel, inspired by the watchmaker’s topping tool, Speake-Marin’s signature motif
• Bridges, gear train, setting lever spring, mainplate and rotor wheel replaced and/or re-designed, oversized, cicled, spotted, straight grained and polished by hand
• Customized, redesigned, reconstructed and hand-finished, according to Speake-Marin style and quality standards established by the ‘Foundation Watch’
• Genuine red-brown calf leather with contrasting white stitching and stainless steel tang buckle
Technical specifications may be changed by Speake-Marin without prior notice